b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:14:29 -0800

Yigal:
How many modern authors make a claim that they wrote the whole book? In
fact, how many list their names beyond the cover and title page? So why
should we expect something different from an ancient author? In fact, by
mentioning it a few times, does not Moses already give more evidence for his
authorship than given by most authors?

And writing about oneself in the third person in a historical account, is
that unheard of even among modern historians?

Then Joshua, who knew both the author and the authorship of the book,
referred to the work of Moses. To a skeptic like me, it appears that those
who question Mosaic authorship have a harder case to make.

Karl W. Randolph.