b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com>
  • To: l_barre AT yahoo.com
  • Cc: b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:06:33 -0600

Lloyd;

The word "Pentateuch" comes from the Greek words "Penta teukhos", and means
"five scrolls/vessels", thus referring to the first five books of the LXX.
The word *H*umash means "five", and refers to the first five books of the
Tanakh (Miq'ra). I referred to such the way that I did, because in essence,
the Torah is not one, and the same with the *H*umash, but only a portion of
the *H*umash. The Torah is only the legal code that is found within the *H*
umash.

Yo*h*anan bin-Dawidh