b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Verb Stems Confusion
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:21:09 -0800 (PST)

   As others have already pointed out, schematic division of meaning
 between the stems, or Binyanim, cannot be done, except, to
some extent, in the case of the passive ones. The Binyanim must have
 had a clear function originally, but this was no longer  valid when
 the biblical books were written down.

  Think of a very common verb in the Piel such as  "dibber", what intensive
 meaning is there to the act of speaking?

  There is no need to mention modern Heb. in this context.( I wonder if
other Heb. speakers on this list have noticed "letakbek" - computer-
language for 'to talk back'?)

 As for the various forms you mention Polel etc., I did refer to them in my

  Cheers,

  Uri   Hurwitz
Great Neck, NY