b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A different generation of biblical scholarship
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:02:42 -0800

Bill:
I mentioned before the history of the Documentary Hypothesis: in that
history, it was fully formed, even to the basic outline of the sources,
before a single archaeological survey was made of the Sinai. Its founders
openly admitted that their guiding principles were philosophical / religious
in nature.

As for its continuance, those founding principles are still operative. Now
archaeological data have been added. But are they accurate? Some field
archaeologists seem to disagree.

For example, you mention, "…such large number of people occupying the Sinai
region at that time." What time do you mean? I read from a field
archaeologist that he considers from the evidence in Egypt that the Exodus
occurred at the end of the 13th dynasty. Did you mean that surveys indicate
that no such large group of people from that time period wandered in the
wilderness? Or wasn't that time period checked? If not, why not?

I have nothing against outside evidence. But an honest evaluation will have
to admit that in many cases that outside evidence is not trustworthy. E.g.
Dame Kenyon asserted that there was no large city at Jericho when Joshua
brought down the walls. She based her claim on a dating scheme that over a
half century ago people were pointing out as seriously flawed. But the
academic mainstream circled the wagons and is still defending the
indefensible to this day. If we allow that Joshua destroyed a large city at
Jericho, then the data fits also that only two other cities in Canaan were
burned at that time, and those cities are the same as those listed in
Joshua.

In this case, the absence of evidence, may be evidence that something is
screwed up.

Karl W. Randolph.