b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dating of Hebrew Texts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dating of Hebrew Texts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:19:38 +1100

Since the thread about the date of Exodus raised a question about the dating
of Hebrew texts, I'm going to start another thread on dating (which is well
and truly within our forum's bounds).

It is claimed that some Hebrew texts can be dated quite early because of the
presence of archaic elements, some of which can be observed in older
languages. However, there are considerable problems with this notion. Here
are two significant issues:

(1) How do we know that seemingly 'archaic' elements are confined to an early
date and cannot have continued into later times? This is quite a crucial
question given that many so-called 'late' texts still contain numerous
'early' features. And some so-called 'early' texts even contain so-called
'late' features.

(2) It is possible that a scribe writing at a fairly late date could
successfully emulate earlier styles. Yea, verily, perchance the scribe doth
immitate olde conducts.

I recommend to our members the forthcoming two volumes by Ian Young, Robert
Rezetko and Martin Ehrensvärd on dating Hebrew. I had the privilege of
proofing the volumes and found them quite convincing in arguing that Early
Biblical Hebrew and Late Biblical Hebrew are really contemporary styles
(i.e., the terms 'early' and 'late' are misleading). The book should be out
this year.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au