b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus. Can Miriam's Song offer a clue?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus. Can Miriam's Song offer a clue?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:26:34 +0200

Dear Gad,

Now you're no longer arguing language but logic. Your argument is basically this: since it makes sense that the Israelites, after having escaped from Egypt, would compose a hymn to praise God for their deliverence, this must be it. So now you ask, whether we can use this poem to date the Exodus itself. There seems to be some very circular reasoning here: the WAS an Exodus, so the Israelites must have composed a song, so the song must be proof of the Exodus... (I know I simplified that, but you get the idea).

What HISTORICAL proof is there that there WAS an Exodus? The fact that the Bible says so? I suggest that we not get into that line of argument, lest the moderators put us both on probation : -).

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "G. Zack" <atdgz AT hotmail.com>