b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re Ezk 3:14 in the heat of my spirit
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:25:54 +1100

> I see two concepts are simply far apart.

And there, I think, is the problem, Oun. You may see two concepts, but Hebrew
does not. And you cannot impose your own view onto Hebrew. Each language has
its own system of logic, which we call grammar, syntax, and semantics. You
have to accept it for what it is. There is a big difference between learning
and imposing.

I've used this example before, but how would you take the word "run" in
English? If it means "to move quickly with the feet", then what do you do
with phrases like "run a business" or "run a computer"? It's just the
semantic range of the word applied in different contexts. It just is! The
concepts are very far apart, and yet the one word is used for all of them.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au