b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus. Can Miriam's Song offer a clue?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "G. Zack" <atdgz AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Year of Exodus. Can Miriam's Song offer a clue?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:25:14 +0000

Karl, if by "the text that we have" you mean the Bible one may point out many
anachronisms in language and toponyms, let alone archaeological findings.

So we know that this "text", while serving as a good guideline and containing
many stories and references that can be shown as plausible, in line with
period linguistic analysis, topography and even archaeology, many may be
shown as later day adaptations etc.

Claiming a kernel of truth in stories such as the Exodus, a kernel that may
be shown most plausible following Hoffmeier and others, explains certain
period accuracies as wel;l as the absence of massive period findings.

As mentioned, the numbers mentioned in "the text" , if taken with a grain of
salt and suspended, allow for some interpretation.

At any rate, as it is a Biblical Hebrew Language Forum, most pertinent to
the forum is the text of Miriam's song, which, to my understanding, can be
__shown__ to be one of the oldest in the bible alongside the later dated
Deborah song (curiously--both are women-poets...-) and, I believe, even dated.

I am surprised no reference was made to this point inthis forum and context.

Can someone comment on that (which would also assist in dealing with the
issue of the date of Exodus...)?

Gad Za"k