b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Article with Suffixed Noun [was: Need Help WithTrope Identification]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Article with Suffixed Noun [was: Need Help WithTrope Identification]
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:31:02 +0200

Thanks to everyone who responded on this question. Of course, I
understood that the suffix was objective, but what I was overlooking
was the possibility that the article was functioning as a relative
pronoun. Thanks so much for pointing that out. I think about that form
all the time when I say these prayers. I think that this form has
partly distracted me from the fact that immediately after it is
written הגואלנו HGW)LNW (ha-go'alénu), "who redeems us." It carries
the same article, yet the form never raised an eyebrow in my mind,
because I was already caught by the first one.

Thanks for helping out, everyone. One more question cleared up.

Yours,
Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel