b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Article with Suffixed Noun [was: Need Help With Trope Identification]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Article with Suffixed Noun [was: Need Help With Trope Identification]
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 09:27:19 +0200

Even from that title page it seems that they intended something akin to the
tipcha or meteg marks to stand only for a stress mark. I haven't seen any
more of this text than what has been posted here, so perhaps Mr. Sapir is
correct in his statement that it is intended to be something more based on
other portions of the text. What has been shown so far, though, seems to
indicate the tipcha/meteg for stress and etnach for pausal position stress
(probably without any change in internal vowel structure). The use of this
form האדונינו would draw my interest to the level of Hebrew language in the
rest of the document. It incorrectly uses the suffixed form in two ways, as
I noticed.

Strangely, there are a couple of instances in the siddur in which the same
mistake is made, and I've always been curious about it and never asked. It
says in the evening prayer right after recitation of the Shema:

אמת ואמונה כל זאת וקיים עלינו, כי הוא ה׳ אלוהינו ואין זולתו, ואנחנו ישראל
עמו. *הפודנו* מיד מלכים וגו׳

)MT W)MWNH KL Z)T WQYYM (LYNW KY HW) H' )LWHYNW W)YN ZWLTW, W)NXNW Y&R)L
(MW. *HPWDNW* MYD MLKYM WGW'

The question would, then, be as to why it says הפודנו HPWDNW instead of
פודנו PWDNW, without the article. Does this violate the rules of the
formation of the suffixed state of a noun, or is it acceptable under some
other rule?

Thanks,
Jason Hare
Rehovot, Israel