b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Rope Imagery" in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Rope Imagery" in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:28:26 -0800

Dear Jim, Karl, et al,

I am just now replying after "officiating" six High School Basketball Games in
three days.

According to TWOT, Vol 1, pp. 420-421, YTR is used some 227 times in the
Hebrew
OT for rest, remnant (one portion which is divided; smaller part in quality).
Yitron is "advantage or excellency," while Yoter is "more, better, advantage."

Page 421 lists "Yeter" cord, bowstring, tentcord, as being used 6 times in
Judges 16:7ff (Samson and Delilah), Psalm 11:2, and Job 4:21; 30:11. Metar is
"Cord, string, tentcords" found 9 times. Most of the occurences are with
reference ot the Tabernacle in Exodus 35. See also Isaiah 54:2; Jeremiah
10:20;
and Psalm 21:12(H 13).

Thus, it seems that the many texts in which this root appears needs to be
taken
into account. It does NOT appear that the primary meaning of YTR meaning
"rope,
cord, etc" is correct. It is listed as ROOT II of YTR, with derivatives being
"yeter and metar."

See also TDNT, Volume 4, pp 196-208.
Rev. Bryant J. Williams III