b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Rope Imagery" in Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Rope Imagery" in Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:36:58 EST

Karl:

You wrote: “To catch the flavor of what Jacob said, an accurate yet free and
idiomatic translation [of Genesis 49: 3] could be ‘Your head is too swollen
and you are too pushy’."

Karl, that is a brilliant interpretation of Genesis 49: 3. It is totally
different than any translation I have ever seen, yet it could fit the literal
wording, and it could fit the context as well.

Perhaps the author of the Patriarchal narratives deliberately is using a
double meaning here. On one level, the meaning could be how this verse is
usually
translated. Yet on another level, the meaning could be what you have set
forth. And maybe your meaning is what the author was primarily meaning.
After
all, every single firstborn son in the Patriarchal narratives gets the shaft,
and rightly so in the peculiar view of the author of the Patriarchal
narratives. So in many ways your new reading of Genesis 49: 3 fits my
overall view of
the Patriarchal narratives better than my traditional reading had.

Thank you for your insight.

The more I think about it, the more I think you may be right here. Your
interpretation fits the context perfectly.

Nifty! Thanks much. Much appreciated.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois