b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms 9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin P. Edgecomb" <kevin AT bombaxo.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalms 9
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:28:24 -0800

Steve Miller wrote:
I am not recommending it, but you may be interested in James Thirtle's "THE
TITLES OF THE PSALMS - THEIR NATURE AND MEANING EXPLAINED". [snip] Search
for "Psalm 8". He interprets the heading of Psalm 9 as a postscript to Psalm
8. I think the meaning he gives to the words is a wild stretch.

I write:
While Thirtle's book does suggest some unusual meanings for the various
superscriptions in the Psalms, his suggestion toward dividing several of the
superscriptions partly into postscripts for the preceding psalms, with the
remainder as superscripts for the psalms to which they're now attached. All
this is built upon the example of Habakkuk 3. Bruce Waltke ("Superscripts,
Postscripts, or Both" JBL 110/4 [1991], 583-596) corroborates the idea. I
blog-posted on this some time ago: http://www.bombaxo.com/blog/?p=330 This
truly appears to be the correct solution.

Regards,
Kevin P. Edgecomb
Berkeley, California