b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Mary Thompson <maryethomp2005 AT mac.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 08:40:40 -0500

Hello Everyone -

I'm very new on this list-serve and new also to trying to understand the Tanakh in Hebrew.

I have two questions:

1) What dictionary or other reference books would you recommend to me? Currently I'm using the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh, but the only dictionary I have is the one included in my Strong's Concordance, which is an older edition from 1983. I'd be willing to get a updated dictionary if you could recommend one that was more complete or accurate. Is there a grammar primer you'd recommend as well?

2) Also, I've noticed in the Tanakh that often before a word there is a prefix joined by a 'dash' (for lack of a better term). For example, at Exodus 12:27 the word for Israelites in the Hebrew is BNY- Y$R'L. This prefix is listed in Strong's as related to 'to build'. The English says "...the houses of the Israelites..." so am I right in understanding that the prefix sets up the possessive?

Another example, one that I have not been able to find in Strong's, is `DT-Y$R'L at Exodus 12:6. This is given in English as "...the assembled congregation of the Israelites..." but the prefix isn't listed in my book.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Mary.

Mary Thompson
maryethomp2005 AT mac.com

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
-- Pablo Picasso