b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Recommend Dictionary and a Question
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:31:54 -0800

Mary:
Are you studying on your own, or are you taking a class?

If you are taking a class, probably the best advice I can give you is to ask
your teacher so that you are on the same page as the other students in the
class.

If you are studying on your own, I would now highly recommend getting a
computer version of the Tanakh. A good, free version which can run on
multiple platforms is found at http://www.crosswire.org which includes
dictionaries. Looking up words on a computer dictionary is a lot faster than
turning physical pages. Even though I wrote a dictionary, I find that I
forget words, or I want to remind myself more exactly of the meaning, so I
still use the dictionary regularly.

If you want to remain with paper, one thing that I used heavily until it
fell apart was an analytic lexicon (professors cringe when they hear that)
but that gives also the Hebrew form.

As far as what you call a "dash", I almost always ignore it. It does not
connect a prefix. Rather it connects words together to indicate that they
are to be read together, with the former word in the construct state: so
BNY-Y%R)L means "sons of Israel" with BNY the construct state of BNYM. An
analytical lexicon would have warned you that this is a possible reading,
and actually preferable reading.

As far as a grammar, I'm not sure which is the best.

Karl W. Randolph.