b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yodan" <yodan AT yodanco.com>
  • To: "'Yitzhak Sapir'" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Meteg and Shva Na/Nah
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:05:06 -0800

Thanks, Yitzhak.

Do you know if what you wrote was also the view of medieval Sephardi
grammarians like Radak and others?

The reason I'm asking is that Tanakh editions that use different symbols for
Shva Na and NaH (like Tanakh Simanim) specifically use a Shva Na (mobile)
symbol for the Shva in the example you quoted (e.g. Genesis 11:3), whereas
you say (if I understand correctly) that this Shva is NaH (quiescent).

Thanks,

Rivka