b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 12:58:00 -0800

Bill:
As I understand Jim, he claims to be upholding the Biblical narrative.
However, when analyzing the Biblical narrative according to its linguistic
and historical claims, it gives a different story than Jim's. The
traditional view is based on taking the text as given as an accurate
recounting of the relevant history.

Therefore, the traditional view has relevance as an answer to Jim's wild
speculations: not due to its claims to tradition, rather because of its
adherence to linguistic and historical norms.

Personally, I think the minimalist position, that it is all mere myth that
might have a kernel of truth, that has been passed down over generations,
has a stronger case than Jim's.

Karl W. Randolph.