b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <him AT vadimcherny.org>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:32:06 +0200

Jim,

without going into your other arguments, place names such as "scorched" are in fact very common. I was recently driving, for example, through a Russian village named Pogorelovo ("the burned one"), and there are many similar examples.

Vadim Cherny

I do not base my argument on Gesenius’ work. I specifically said that
whereas Gesenius sees “Sodom” as meaning “scorched”, no historical city would have a name meaning “scorched”. Gesenius has missed the two more important puns here, which tell us that rather than being a fictional city, Sodom for the most part represents historical Beth Shan.