b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What Does "Sodom" Mean?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:05:46 -0600

I missed it.

And nothing is more politically charged than the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. Anyone who did not want a politically charged discussion about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah should have either refrained from writing it, or refrained from creating religious fundamentalism in any of three major religions. Not possible. I repeat, not possible to have a discussion of Sodom and Gomorrah that is free of political motives and implications.

Now. What specifically are you arguing that sodom means?

My guess is that if you think the word has a meaning, then the meaning argues against a literal interpretation of teh story, and that is precisely what has induced K. Randolph to blow up.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX
tiggernut24 AT yahoo.com