b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs. Masoretes/75 vs. 70: How Many Hebrews DidJacob Lead into Egypt?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Brian Roberts" <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: <JimStinehart AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs. Masoretes/75 vs. 70: How Many Hebrews DidJacob Lead into Egypt?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:53:16 -0500

Jim;

Regarding your point #1, how do you make the determination that the absence
of "Huppim" as an "arbitrary" drop? You're assuming that it was in the
source text used by the Greek translators in the Ptolemaic period, which
remained itself hidden for nearly a thousand years again before finding its
way into the MT? What evidence do you have to fortify that?

Regarding #2, so, in your view, restoring your sense of numeric symbolism to
the texts is more important than getting to the facts of what they say?
You're presupposing with this idea that every number in the Pentateuch has
symbolism, and its use as representing real numbers in reality (redundancy
intended) means less in comparison to its symbolic meaning. You're also
presupposing that you, sitting here in the early 21st century, know better
how to interpret the intent of the LXX than its extant copies would have us
conclude.

Regarding #3, so inauspicious numbers are okay, but awkward glosses are not?

Best,

R. Brian Roberts
Amateur Researcher in Biblical Archaeology