b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs. Masoretes/75 vs. 70: How Many Hebrews DidJacob Lead into Egypt?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jason Hare <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs. Masoretes/75 vs. 70: How Many Hebrews DidJacob Lead into Egypt?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:30:01 +0200

Bryant,

< In fact, the book of Hebrews uses all its
< quotes from the LXX. So there are no surprises here.

Either that or the text of the LXX was altered in later editions to match the quotes from the NT. How do we know that the text of the LXX matches what it used to be? We know for certain that Origen took liberties with his text of the LXX to make it fit the NT. Where did the texts of Alexandrinus and Vaticanus come from? What proof is there that the verses quoted in the NT have not been altered to fit citations?

Thanks,
Jason Hare
--> Rehovot, Israel
--> English Teacher (Rishon LeZion)