b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Age of consonantal text, vocalization, and cantillation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <ken.penner AT acadiau.ca>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Age of consonantal text, vocalization, and cantillation
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 21:37:58 -0400

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

> am not sure how you go about deciding that the vocalization
> tradition is somehow not as earlier as the consonantal text.

I would think such things as perpetual Qere, the vocalization of the
Tetragrammaton, and the vocalization of Qal Passives as Puals would indicate
the vowel points are not as ancient as the consonantal text. My work with
Qumran texts has increased my confidence in the antiquity of the consonants
of the MT and decreased my confidence in the antiquity of the vowels.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D. (McMaster)
Acadia Divinity College
Dead Sea Scrolls scholars' list owner,