b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:44:55 +0000

Karl,

The word "furnace" (kaf vav resh) is used 9 or 10 times in the Tanakh, and
you want two examples of it spelled without the vav, Proverbs 16:27 possibly,
and then one more example for proof. I don't think a word that is used very
rarely in the first place, is going to be spelled a rare way twice. I don't
think that the vav was dropped very often in most words, so I doubt you can
find that word with it twice.

I think you just don't like the idea of dividing letters differently. I like
to look at all confusing quotes, and see if the letters can be divided
differently, and not just once in a quote, but I try to divide all of the
letters in some quotes many possible ways. I think that there are lots of
quotes that could possibly be fixed this way.

I don't think scholars try to totally regroup the letters in confusing
quotes, as far as I know. Maybe my idea is stupid or crazy or worth trying,
but I think someone should try. Maybe people of the past were not that great
at writing out more than a million letters over thousands of years in a
language they didn't speak that much anymore. Also, the Tanakh is full of
poetry that can say anything, and you can't always easily guess what every
line says.

You can have a PhD and know every ancient Semitic language, and still not
know for sure what a simple poem in ancient Hebrew says, if the letters are
divided wrong by mistake.

Kenneth Greifer
The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox
360 Console.