b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: "biblical hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 20:28:57 +0000

On Dec 6, 2007 7:53 PM, K Randolph wrote:
> Kenneth:
> Look at the context of the words. You have the subject )y$ BLY(L, object
> R(H, and verb KRH. The meaning of the verb is to furnish as in to provide,
> which fits the meaning of the verse.
>
> What meaning did you think your division provides? Does it fit the context?

Hi Karl,

I know you asked Kenneth, but since I commented on the verse and slightly
deviated from Kenneth's original translation, I'll suggest mine:

The man of wickedness is the furnace of evil;
On his lips, it [the furnace] is like a burning fire.

This is a very graphic and demonic image of a wicked person. They may
not have had movies, where the devil had eyes with fiery pupils, but I think
this image does get pretty much the same point across. Specifically, it
seems the verse concentrates on the words of the wicked man which are
"on his lips." I think the context works pretty well.

Yitzhak Sapir