b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:08:31 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
There is no difference between the Massoretic dots and the consonantal text,
as far as questioning them. Both come from the same source, both were
transmitted by the same people, and both were susceptible to similar
textual problems, and linguistic developments.

Dear Yitzhak,

I'm surprised by this statement of yours. The consonantal text is the text that was written by the "original" authors, and it was the text that was passed down and copied (or mis-copied) for centuries. The Masoretic dots are a much later Medieval addition to the text, reflecting the tradition that the Tiberian Mesoretes had "recieved" about how the text was to be read. While I do not share Karl's total disdain of this tradition, there are some cases in which the Mesoretes apparently got it wrong. Any proposed "correction" of the text that "only" involves changing the vocalization is much easier to assume than one which involves unattested changes in the consonantal text.

The fact is that the accuracy of both must be evaluated appropriately
after a full understanding of what the text conveys in the current
form is achieved.

Amen to that.

Yigal Levin