b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] virginity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <michaelabernat9001 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] virginity
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:32:00 -0500

Shoshanna,

I considered the possibility that someone might argue "that SHE HAD COHABITED
WITH ANOTHER MAN AFTER KIDDUSHIN." That's why I looked it up in the Mishnah
before commenting. Note Ketuboth 1:6,

"He who marries a woman and did not find tokens of virginity- `she says,
"After you betrothed me, I was raped, and your field has been flooded," `and
he says, "Not so, but it was before I betrothed you, and my purchase was a
bargain made in error"- `Rabban Gamaliel and R. Eliezer say, "She is
believed." `R. Joshua says, "We do not depend on her testimony. But lo,
she remains in the assumption of having had sexual relations before she was
betrothed and of having deceived him, `"until she brings evidence to back up
her [contrary] claim."

This passage makes it evident that this law was applied to any sexual
relationship prior to the consummation with her husband.

I have to wonder if we are imposing modern standards on these passages. Edwin
Yamauchi wrote an article entitled Cultural Aspects of Marriage in the
Ancient World for Bibliotheca Sacra in 1978. He noted, "In the Jewish Talmud
marriage was recommended for girls at the age of puberty, which would be at
twelve or twelve and one-half (Yeb. 62b). Males were advised to marry between
fourteen and eighteen. In Talmudic law a girl before the age of twelve and
one-half could not refuse a marriage decided on by her father. After that age
her assent was essential (Kidd. 2b). Sepulchral inscriptions of Jewish
families buried in the catacombs at Rome give the actual ages of brides in
six cases; two married at twelve, two at fifteen, one between fifteen and
sixteen, and one between sixteen and seventeen."

I should hope that it was considered normal for these girls to enter marriage
as virgins.

Sincerely,

Michael Abernathy