b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] virginity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] virginity
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:54:11 -0700

Yigal and Kevin:

There are two points that need not be forgotten:

1) tense in Biblical Hebrew was not grammaticalized, therefore any
assumption that the woman was already pregnant at the time that Isaiah
made his statement based on the forms of the verbs used is just that,
an assumption.

2) "name" did not always refer to the given name, rather also referred
to reputation, or to an aspect of the person.

3) (I can't count) Prophecy was not always fulfilled immediately, and
there are contextual clues that this was not intended as a prophecy
with an immediate fulfillment.

Bottom line: the New Testament understanding of this verse is not out
of line with the linguistic, grammatical and lexicographic
understanding of this verse, unless one can prove that (LMH cannot be
restricted to a person who has never "known" a man. That is why there
is such an emphasis that (LMH cannot be restricted to a virgin by
those who do not want to accept the New Testament as being a true
history, whether we are dealing with 19–21st century Europeans,
20–21st century Americans, or any other group.

Because this issue is so ideologically driven, we on this list may
give each man his own understanding, the linguistic reasons we hold to
our understanding, why we disagree with another's understanding, but
we are not to go beyond that. We are not to make personal attacks, nor
use logical fallacies to deride another's position, nor to
proselytize, rather at some point we need to agree to disagree, and
let it go.

In past messages I have now given a few linguistic reasons why I read
the verse as I do, and a couple of theological ones which I have
clearly labeled as theological, and unless someone shows up something
that I missed, I really don't have anything more to add. Let's agree
to disagree in a civilized manner, and move on to the next issue.

Karl W. Randolph.