b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:10:47 +0100

On 09/07/2007 01:09, Harold Holmyard wrote:
HH: True, but English allows a somewhat similar idea to the Hebrew use of the article that I learned. The reader can take "the virgin" as generic if he chooses to do so. It is the typical young woman in Israel. She gets pregnant, bears a child, and names him "Immanuel" because of the hope she has in God and his protection of Israel.

This is an interesting and (to me, at least) novel exegesis, and on this basis I accept that the traditional English translation is just about grammatically acceptable. But does the Hebrew really mean this? And was the translators' intention to convey this meaning, or were they simply being over-literal here?

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org