b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:02:23 -0500

Dear Joseph,
Interestingly, the NASB translators decided on "young woman" for 7:14 but were vetoed by the American Bishops who retained "virgin". This is why I don't find authority authoritative here.

I doubt it was the NASB translators, because they are Protestant:

http://www.afcministry.com/NASB_Translators.htm

The translators come from Presbyterian, Methodist, American Baptist, Disciples, Southern Baptist, Nazarene, General Association of Regular Baptist, Congregational, Independent Baptist, Free Methodist, and still other denominations. Some have international reputations.

HH: I don't think they would be controlled by American bishops, by which you presumably mean Catholic ones. Perhaps you mean NAB. If you want to read about the NASB translators, you can see a list of them above or here:

http://www.bible-researcher.com/nasb.html

Yours,
Harold Holmyard