b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ending -TIY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ending -TIY
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 18:56:23 -0400

Pere,

It appears to me that the form TIY is but the compressed combination of the personal pronouns AT-HI. It is used in place of ANI = AN-HI in such forms as RAXAC-TI = RAXAC-ATI = RAXAC-ANI, 'I washed (it)', in order , I think, to differentiate it from the accusative RXAC-ANI, '(he) washed me'. A verb followed by a personal pronoun is chosen in Hebrew to indicate past action, to wit:
RAXAC-TI = RAXAC-ATI, I washed
RAXAC-TA = RAXAC-ATA, you (male, singular) washed
RAXAC-T = RAXAC-AT, you (female, singular) washed
RAXAC, he washed
RAXAC-AH = RAXAC-HI, she washed
RAXAC-NU = RAXAC-ANU, we washed
RAXAC-TEM = RAXAC-ATEM, you (male, plural) washed
RAXAC-TEN = RAXAC-ATEN, you (female, plural) washed
RAXAC-U = RAXAC-HU, they washed,
while a personal pronoun followed by a verb is selected in Hebrew to indicate intended action, to wit:
TI-RXAC, you (male, singular) will wash
TI-RXAC-YI = TI-RXAC-HI, you (female, singular) will wash
etc.
To indicate membership in a group, Hebrew adds a personal pronoun standing for the member to the group's name, for example ISRAELI = ISRAEL-HI for a male Israelite = Israel-ite, and ISRAELIT = ISRAEL-HI- AT for female Israelite. If a name ends already in a personal pronoun (or what appears to be a personal pronoun) such as the city of (AZAH = AZ-HA = AZ-HI, 'the strong one', Hebrew will drop the -H and substitute ATI for it, to wit: HA-(AZA-TIY of Joshua 13:3. Instead of ATI the personal pronoun ANI may also be used as in AXIYAH HA-$IYLO- NIY, 'Ahijah the prophet of Shiloh', mentioned in 1 Kings 11:29.
Prersent day Hebrew makes extensive use of the feminine ending IYT as a diminutive, for instance, QAP, 'table spoon', but QAPIYT = QAP-HI- AT, 'tea spoon'. ATI is also extensively used in reference to a property holder, for instance, from (EDAH, 'community', Hebrew derives (ADATIY, 'communal, ethnic', and then (ADATIYUT = (AD-AT-HI- HU-AT.

Isaac Fried, Boston University