b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ending -TIY

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "<pporta AT oham.net>" <pporta AT oham.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ending -TIY
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:10:02 -0400

Pere,

In my opinion the original [whatever "original" may mean] personal pronouns were just the vowels U and I [the vowel A is just a puff of air], and later also O and E [they are still absent in Arabic], in the form they are now infixed, for instance LUQAX = L-U-QAX = L-HU- QAX, 'he [HU] is taken'. The separate personal pronouns are the combination of substantives, or single consonant roots, represented by H, [X, K], M, N, T, and said vowels [some are lost]. Thus the English 'I' could be ANI, ATI, AXI. This X [K] is present in the extended personal pronouns ANOKI, ANAXNU, and the genitive or accusative suffixes -AK, -AKA, and so on. X is the substantial part of XAI, 'alive' and AX, 'brother'. Its softer manifestation H is present in HI, HU, HEM and HEN.
The word LIQRA)T, 'towards', ends already in the letter T, as do L (UMAT, 'against', and ZULAT, 'except for'. We shall not go now into the issue as to the nature of this last AT, namely, if it is a personal pronoun, or if it is a radical letter, as in the root KRT. Suffice it to say that for 'me' Hebrew uses the bare IY. Notice that, indeed, the last T of L(UMATIY is without a Dagesh.
The word L(UMAT is inflected as:
L(UMATIY = L(UMAT-YI = L(UMAT-ANI, opposite me
L(UMATKA = L(UMAT-AKA = L(UMAT-ATA, opposite you [male, singular]
L(UMATEK = L(UMAT-EK = L(UMAT-E-AT opposite you [female, singular, with ET, possibly HI-AT]
L(UMATO = L(UMAT-HO = L(UMAT-HU, opposite him
L(UMATAH = L(UMAT-AH = L(UMAT-HI, opposite her
L(UMATENU = L(UMAT-ENU = L(UMAT-E-ANU, opposite us
L(UMATKEM = L(UMAT-AKEM = L(UMAT-ATEM, opposite you [plural, male]
L(UMATKEN = L(UMAT-AKEN = L(UMAT-ATEN, opposite you [plural, female]
L(UMATAM = L(UMAT-AM = L(UMAT-HEM, opposite them [plural, male]
L(UMATAN = L(UMAT-AN = L(UMAT-HEN, opposite them [plural, female]

Isaac Fried, Boston University