b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua 2:1 and 17, Questions

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Joshua 2:1 and 17, Questions
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 09:24:40 +0300

Dear Jason,

I'll leave the grammar for someone else to deal with, but as for understanding "zonah" as "innkeeper", this follows the well-known comment by Rashi, that Rahab sold "mazon" - "food". I've never bothered to look it up, but I assume that Rashi was following a midrashic source, in which Rahab's occupation is "cleaned up"; since she recognized God and helped the Israelites, she MUST have been a woman of virtue! Just so you know, this is the "clean" version that many Jewish children are taught - it is interesting that is has "spilled over" into Christian interpretation as well.

The midrash also claims that Rahab ended up marrying Joshua. According to the Christian version in Mattew 1:4, Rahab is the wife of Salmon, mother of Boaz who married Ruth and was the great-grandfather of David. Both versions, of course, are intended to convey various messages.

Yigal Levin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Hare" <jaihare AT gmail.com>