b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] verb forms - Isaiah 56:6-7 was dying you shall die
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:32:30 +0100

On 19/04/2007 03:50, Isaac Fried wrote:

... Language was created by utterly "primitive" people, and was developed by consensus by still utterly simple minded, yet supremely practical, people (unless you believe in its divine origin). ...

Isaac, you seem to assume here the old but generally discredited idea (put forward originally by people who also tended to think that we Aryans are less primitive than you Semites, a theory I utterly reject) that "primitive" people in ancient times were less intelligent than modern people. I don't think there is any evidence for this at least since the emergence of Homo sapiens. So, unless you want to claim that Hebrew was originally spoken by Neanderthals or other pre-sapiens species of Homo, then you should not assume that any human language is simple.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org