b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jerry Shepherd" <jerry.shepherd AT taylor-edu.ca>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question on Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:09:44 -0600

Sorry for the previous blank message -- I hit send and didn't mean to

The question I have, and I could look it up but I'm trying to find the answer
more quickly than that, is this. There are 40 some places in the Leningrad
Codex where the tetragrammaton has the full vowel pointing for Adonai, i.e.,
there is a holem (e.g. Exod 13:9), in addition to the usual two vowels, shewa
and qames. Does anybody know off the top of their head the reason why the
extra vowel comes into play in the 40 some places (out of the nearly 6000
occurrences)? Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Dr. Jerry E. Shepherd
Associate Professor of Old Testament