b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dying you will die

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Scott McAliley" <scottanderin1 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dying you will die
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:50:31 -0500

Bruce,
Gen 3.23, 24 doesn't say that they were banished from the garden to prevent perpetual sin. God could squash perpetual sin or any other sin at any time He so desires. I've already commented on this in an earlier post, but I'll repeat it here. The bible tells us why they were banished: "lest he put forth his hand and also take from the Tree of Life, and eat, and live forever". I think the putting forth of the hand is being overlooked here. The banishment is about showing mankind's inability to save his own soul by his own efforts. That God is the only one who can cover our shame sufficiently was already typed in the slaying of a beast and the covering of their nakedness after they had tried to do so own their own. And their sin problem was already taken care of when they accepted God's gracious covering. And all of this seems to type Christ who we are told later in scripture, was "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world".

Scott

1 Tim 6.16 states that God alone is immortal. Human beings are mortal
meaning they are subject to death, and in fact "mortal" is another term for
"human being". I believe we were created as mortals and why Adam and Eve had
to have access to the tree of life. As Harold Holmyard points out in an
earlier message, "mortal" might not necessarily mean that human beings WILL
die, but they are certainly subject to death, whereas an immortal being is
not even subject to death.

After they sinned, Gen 3.23, 24 tell us they were banished from the garden
and access to the tree of life was guarded to prevent perpetual sin.

This also explains why Gen 2.17 is written in the infinitive absolute case
because, being subject to death, the tree of life somehow prevented them
from dying, although they were subject to death. Once they were banished
from the Garden, their mortality would lose its life support system and they
would eventually die.

Cheers

Bruce Prince
Australia