b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davidfentonism AT aim.com
  • To: yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:20:42 -0400

Dear Yitzhak,

Somehow, you have taken my remarks as having an acerbic tone. Allow me to
say it was not intended to be that nor expressed in that way. Ironically, I
was interested in discussion and now it has seemed to have regressed to where
I must clarify my original clarification just to get back to ground zero. So,
here goes, Yitzhak. I used, "A philosophical theory of criticism (usually of
literature or film) that seeks to expose deep-seated contradictions in a work
by delving below its surface meaning" as my definition of deconstructionism.
I was also quite specific about the single term I "appropriated" which was
"choir." In hindsight, I did not appropriate it at all. I actually accepted
your pejorative use of choir with honor and then explained the scriptural
position on benefits exclusive to choir membership. I did not take offense at
the offense.

About what you have said here concerning the nature of b-hebrew, facts,
historicity, inerrancy, oddball theories and so on, I defer to my original
argument to you. I did take them all into consideration when I responded. The
gulf in understanding now as then has to do with what I said prior: the very
nature of questions, conceptions and misconceptions, agreements and
disagreements, etc. from an unbelieving scholarly or lay community will be
qualitatively different and unbridgeable to the nature of the questions,
conceptions and misconceptions, agreements and disagreements, etc. of the
believing community. Intellectual debate is NOT Midrash.

Last, I did not accuse you specifically of "attack" (even though you did and
have) but I was referring to the habit as evidenced now. This is an example
of the qualitative nature of the debate between the choir and the skeptic
scholars. The differences you say are not there have been there for millennia
and are irreconcilable without the Tzerach or Ruach Elohiym as the only
bridge between the otherwise unbridgeable gulf of which I spoke. I almost
forgot. I do not have to rely on an abstract definition of Midrash (or
PaRDeS) . I've seen it too many times to count and have read Midrashim. This
is yet another example of Hebrew emunah (faith) and the Greco-Roman
conception of faith as mental assent to something. All of this points to that
unbridgeable gulf. I didn't make the gulf, I found it upon coming to faith. I
ask you do not take my response as having any hostile intent. My replies are
not to cause strife but increase our mutual understanding of our respective
communities.

Shalom,
David Fenton
Gal. 27-29: For as many as have had a tevilah into Moshiach have clothed
yourselves with Moshiach. There is not Yehudi nor Yevani (Greek), there is
not eved (servant) nor ben chorin (freedman), there is not zachar (male) nor
nekevah (female), for you are all echad in Moshiach Yehoshua/Yeshua. And, if
you belong to Moshiach (YESHAYAH 53:10), then you are of the ZERAH of Avraham
Avinu, you are yoreshim (heirs) according to the havtachah (promise).