b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] how scholars debate controversial issues
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:28:50 -0700

Bill:

On 3/26/07, Bill Rea <bsr15 AT cantsl.it.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

Karl seems to hold to some similar, though not identical, notion
to what an amateur like me would understand by uncancellable intrinsic
meaning. But Karl has said he doesn't know what to make of Rolf's
theory either.

Bill Rea,

That statement has piqued my curiosity, what have I said that
indicates to you that I "hold to some similar, though not identical,
notion ... (of) uncancellable intrinsic meaning"? I have not made a
detailed study on this question, but as far as I can tell, I seem to
hold to a middle position between David and Rolf: that while I think
that the verbal usage in Biblical Hebrew was aspectual (partially
agreeing with Rolf), that aspectual usage carries a lot of implied
tense information (partially agreeing with David). This position is
not the result of a formal study, rather based on reading the text
through several times.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.