b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:59:30 -0000

Dear David,

I have never used the words "uncancelable semantics," but you have. So I do not "try to escape the labelling," I just say that your label does not fit my work; it is a misunderstanding. You cannot label my work, and when I say your label is incorrect, you say that I try to escape the labelling.

According to Websters, "scrupulous" means;

"1) having or showing scruples; characterized by careful attention to what is right or proper;conscientiously honest and upright; 2 (a) careful of details, precise, accurate, and correct; exact; (b) demanding, or characterised by, precision, care, and exactness."

When I ask the question: "Is past tense an uncancelable part of the WAYYIQTOL form?," I seek a scrupulous distinction between semantics and pragmatics when I answer the question, and I use "scrupulous" as defined by Websters.

You have several times accused me of not commenting on your objections, and therefore I sent my previous post. From the point of view of my "scrupulous distinction between semantics and pragmatics" your objections and examples, such as the verb forms used with "yesterday" and "today" are basically irrelevant, and that is the reason why I previously have not made any comments on each of them.

I am not going out of steam. But when I now have stated why I have not commented on all your examples, I do not see any purpose in continuing this discussion.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>