b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Mis(.)rayim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Mis(.)rayim
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:57:49 EDT

"Egypt" is *khme* in Sahidic Coptic and *kimi* in Bohairic, reflecting the
hieroglphic KMT, usually vocalized as "Kemet." It is from Egyptian (Coptic)
*kmom*, "to be, become black." In Bohairic Coptic, an Egyptian is
*remenkimi*, "a person of Egypt."

However, the Amarna Tablets use *misri*, similar to the Arabic *misr*. It
is found in the Qur'an at 2:61, though some translators prefer to simply use
"town" as the translation there. I would think that *misr* is Semitic and
related to the Hebrew word.

Solomon Landers

In a message dated 3/22/2007 3:47:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,