b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:12:00 +1100

Dear Rolf,

Why do you dismiss something as "pragmatic"? Indeed, this is where meaning differences occur for you, so why should it not (at least in principle) have some bearing on morphology? Is not your position that pragmatics played a role in the morphology of wayyiqtol by the Masoretes? Again, you fail to interact with the issues. Regarding paragogic nun and the third-person pronouns augmented with nun, you dismiss the question without any real explanation. Indeed, you cite the old work of Hoftijzer, but there are more recent works which do not appear in your dissertation. I remain unconvinced because you do not answer my questions.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Dear David,

The first three points below deal with morphological questions and could in
principle be relevant for my quest of finding the semantic meaning of the
verb forms; the last two are pragmatic in nature and are not relevant.
Because I have analysed all the verbs, I have also analysed all the forms
with an extra NUN. In my view, the arguments regarding long and short forms
that are semantically distinctive have no real basis. They build on several
assumptions which seem to be wrong, and without the assumptions the NUNs
tell us nothing regarding Semantic meaning ( Cf. J. Hoftijzer (1985)
"Function and Use of Imperfect Forms with Nun Paragogicum in Classical
Hebrew." I have also carefully analysed the temporal adverbs/adverbials
including "yesterday" and "tomorrow". The examples of these two are too few
to have importance and therefore have not received a special treatment in
the dissertation, but a few temporal adverbs have been discussed in more
detail.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo