b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard3 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:33:25 -0500

Dear David,
You miss my point. Wherever you look in language, semantically there is a paucity of forms. Some language's "grammars" show paucity in different areas, but there is nevertheless, as I stated above, generalisation, economy, polysemy, and conceptual grouping occurring commonly in language. Just how this is played out varies from one language to the next. It is the tension between, to use Haiman's (2004) terminology, of "efficiency and complexity in grammars".

HH: Thank you for the careful answers and for the bibliography.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard