b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Overview and comments on Furuli, A New Understanding of the Verbal System of Classical Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:27:57 +0000

On 21/03/2007 19:16, Rolf Furuli wrote:
Dear Harold,

Clusters of YIQTOLs with past reference are very rare; one other occurrence is the building of the tabrnacle. ...

I am surprised to see you say this. In fact the situation is rather different. In Exodus 25-29 God is speaking, with a jussive modal sense, about the future building of the tabernacle, and in this passage apocopated YIQTOL and WEQATAL are used. Where the building of the tabernacle is described by the narrator in the past, in Exodus 36-39, the verb forms are QATAL and WAYYIQTOL.

... Please look at the examples below and tell me why the YIQTOLs should be taken as progressive why and the WAYYIQTOLs should not.

Genesis 37:7 One YIQTOL followed by one WAYYIQTOL

The sheaves were surrounding, continuous because they didn't move, then they bowed down, not progressive but a single action. This makes excellent sense of the scenario, although I admit it cannot be proved.

Exodus 1:12 Three YIQTOLs and one WAYYIQTOL

The three YIQTOLs are part of a special construction implying a progressive aspect. The regular narrative resumes with the WAYYIQTOL. Again, probable but not provable.

Deuteronomy 2:12 One YIQTOL and two WAYYIQTOLs

BHS notes a textual uncertainty here.

Deuteronomy 32:12 One YIQTOL followed by one WAYYIQTOL

This seems to be an incorrect reference.

Please also consider Nehemiah 3:13-15. Are the two YIQTOLs and three WEYIQTOLs in these verses progressive while the WAYYIQTOL in v.13 with of the same root as one of the WEYIQTOLs in v. 15 is not progressive?

"Late biblical Hebrew" may be different.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org