b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew verbalsystem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Rolf Furuli" <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Question for Rolf on the JW outlook on the Hebrew verbalsystem
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:20:56 -0000

Dear Marjorie,

Your question is personal, but I think an answer can be informative for
the list-members, since the work with a dissertation both has a sociological
side (what is your horizon of understanding; which knowledge in which areas
have you already acquired) and a side governed by chance (which professor
happens to teach you, and what is his or her view on Hebrew verbs). A real
problem when a student starts to study Hebrew, is that the curriculum is so
big that the possibility of independent thinking is minimal. Moreover, in
any level of study, if a student voices ideas contrary to the established
ones, he or she may not get the exam. Thus, there is a tendency to curtail
new, or radical ideas, and this prevents scientific progress. This also
works on the highest level of study. Research was done on which projects in
Oslo were accepted as worthy of a Ph.D study, and the conclusion was that
the accepted projects was those with working hypoteses which were in line
with the views of the professors on the committee, and those that were not
were rejected. There is also a new procedure that has developed, which, in my
view, even more curtails free research and scientific progress, and this is
that the professors now, at least in Oslo, have been given more power to
decide the subjects for Ph.D studies. Moreover, they may sometimes serve as
parcipitants in the projects rather that as mere consultants. So, both for
economic reasons (you do not get funds for radical projects) and because you
do not
get your exam or your degree if you have ideas which deviate too much from
the standard ideas, free thinking is curtailed. The result is that only sides
of the established ideas are
studied, these ideas are applauded, and there is little progress. A
situation not very different from this is seen in Hebrew studies from end of
the 19th century and up to the present. A typical example is the creation of
the ad hoc hypothesis of "prophetic perfect," which was invented in the
19th centuries. It has since been parroted over and over again in Grammars and
Textbooks, but I have never seen any serious attempt to *prove* it (See
Gesenius-Kautzsch 106, n (p.312) and Waltke-O´Connor 30. 5.1e (pp. 489-490).
And that is natural, since it is a psychological explanation, it requires a
knowledge of the minds of dead prophets.

On this background I return to your question. The first time I realised
problems with the understanding of the Hebrew verbal system was in 1961 when
I read about it in the Foreword of the New World Translation. It caught my
attention, but I forgot it until I read the book "The Enigma of the Hebrew
Verbal System" (1982) by L. McFall. This historical demonstration of the
shaky foundation of the traditional WAYYIQTOL view really was an eyeopener.
(Both these incidents can be subsumed under the heading "Chance"; which
books do you happen to read, and which persons do you happen to meet.)
Between these events I had studied the Philosophy of Science and different
disciplines in the natural sciences, and particularly the reasoning of K.
Popper had impressed me, for example, by the application of induction and
deduction you can never hope to prove anything; that is impossible, but you
can hope to falsify things. And, a hypothesis should be formed in a way as
to be falsifyable.

When I started my studies of Hebrew, I had two advantages: I was a grown man
with experience, not so easily manipulated as younger students, and I had a
strong theoretical basis for critical thinking. Moreover, the professor who
taught me Semitic languages, E. E. Knudsen, was very knowledgable, had an
open
mind, and encouraged his students to do critical thinking different from his
own. Under his
supervision I wrote the thesis "Imperfect Consecutive and the Verbal System
of Biblical Hebrew" (362 p) in 1995 for the mag.art.degree (close to an US
Ph.D) and in 2005 I defended the doctoral dissertation, which already has
been reviewed. What did influence me? First of all, the principles I had
learned in my study of the Philosophy of science, not least to find the
smallest possible units and study each of these. I read extensively from
previous Semitic studies (one of the positive remarks of the evaluation
committee
for my dissertation was that no important source relevant for the study was
lacking in the bibliography), and I realized that published studies of
Hebrew verbs represented blatant violations of the very fundamental
principles of the Philosophy of science (the results of deductive and
inductive studies were taken as proofs for the hypotheses and theories). I
realized that the principles of the study of the natural sciences were not
fully applicable in a humanistic study, particularly not in the study of a
dead language. But the principles could to a great extent be applied, and at
least, they should not be violated. For example, one application of the
falsification principle can be the following prediction: If the WAYYIQTOL is
an independent conjugation coding for past tense, we will expect that the
reference time of the actions of the clauses with WAYYIQTOL in the Tanakh
occur before the deictic center; in a non-technical language: we will expect
the WAYYIQTOLs to have past reference. If we can find a reasonable number of
WAYYIQTOLs with non-past reference, the prediction is falsified. I will
quickly
add that in the examples with non-past tense we must be open for textual
corruption, exceptions, special contexts, special conventions in different
genres, diachronic questions, and that a language is a living medium etc. But
these issues should be studied in a
scientific way, and the examples should not be brushed away by the argument
that languge is fuzzy, or the WAYYIQTOL is not yet fully grammaticalized as
apast tense. This prediction was a basic tool for my thesis of 1995. The NWT
had caused
me to be critical towards the modern theories of WAYYIQTOL, but its
grammatical theory did not influence me at all, since this was a study of
text, of all the WAYYIQTOLs of the Tanakh on the basis of the falsification
principle. Grammatical theories therefore were unnecessary.

In 1997, M. Broman Olsen´s dissertation "A Semantic and Pragmatic Model of
Lexical and Grammatical Aspect" was published, and when reading it, I
realized that she had created a very simple, but elegeant linguistic model,
which was in perfect accord with the principles of Popper and the natural
sciences. I had used a similar approach in my 1995 thesis, but without
defining an elegant model. I therefore used Olsen´s model as a point of
departure in my dissertation, but disagrees with her in the view that aspect
is the same in all aspectual languages. So again, the grammatical theories of
the NWT, of S. R. Driver, D. Michel and others were unnecessary in the work
with the dissertation. It was a study of the whole text of classical Hebrew
on the basis of principles parallel to those used in the study of the
natural sciences.

I would like to use two examples from Broman Olsen (1997: 17) in order to
illustrate the difference between semantic meaning and conversational
pragmatic implicature (which part of the meaning is based on the context, and
which part is an intrinsic property of a word or a form). The question is:
"Are slowly and tired partsof the semantic meaning of plod?

"I adopt the distinction between semantic meaning and conversational
pragmatic implicature from Grine (1975): semantic meanings may not be
canceled without contradiction or reinforced without redundancy. Thus
"slowly" is part of the semantic meaning of plod, since it may not be
canceled without contradiction or reinforced without redundancy, as shown in
(14a) and (14b), respectively.

(14) (a) Elsie plodded along, #but not slowly.

(b) Elsie plodded along, #? slowly.

In contrast, conversational pragmatic implicature may be canceled or
reinforced without contradiction or redundancy. "Tiredness" is therefore
associated with "plod" by conversational pragmatic implicature, since it is
both cancelable and reinforcable, as 15 shows.

(15) (a) Margaret plodded along, although she wasn´t tired.

(b) Margaret plodded along; she was very tired."

Regarding tense Broman Olsen (p. 121) writes:

"The relation between RT /reference time/ and C /the deictic center/ is part
of a truth conditional or semantic meaning and is therefore not cancelable,
hence the oddity of the temporal phrases of (6a-c), which attempt to cancel
past, present,and future reference, respectively.

(6) (a) #Jeanette was old tomorrow.

(b) #Jeanette is old, but not now.

(c) #Jeanette will be old yesterday."

I now return to your question again. I knew the grammatical theory of the
NWT when I started my research. In my thesis of 1995 I discussed about 450
particular examples of WAYYIQTOLs with non-past reference. And in each case I
listed the tense chosen by 20 different Bible translations in Norwegian,
Swedish, Danish, English, German, and French, but I did not use the NWT. In
my dissertation work I neither used the NWT or any other Bible translation
in any phase of the work. But in one very important respect the NWT (and L.
McFall) influenced me: becauseof these I was at the outset sceptical to the
traditional explanation of Hebrew verbs.

A few words on the NWT: I did not use it in my dissertation work, but after
completing it I have written two books on Bible translation. One of them
deals with how theology and bias influence Bible translation. In this book I
compare the very literal NWT and the idiomatic TEV. In connection with this
book I made a deep study of both versions. The NWT is a translation for Bible
students, since the translators tried to convey the nuances of the verbs much
more detailed than other versions. Thus, we find hundreds of examples of
WAYYIQTOLs rendered as "He began to..., he proceeded to..., he continued
to..., he was xxxing..., renderings that for themostpart are lacking in
other versions. There are also many other nuances that are conveyed, such as
differences in meaning when a QATAL and a YIQTOL are used with future
reference. The advantage of this for the reader is the possibility to find
details which are not found in other versions; the disadvantage of a literal
translation is the tendency to use many words and sometimes the clauses
become wooden. I can think of no better modern version for those who are
interested in the details of the original text than the NWT. I say this,
particularly because my study has shown that the translators were extremely
(I mean "extremely") careful to be consistent in the rendering of the Hebrew
text; infinitive constructs rendered in one way, e.g., infinitive avsolutes
in another, and participles still in another way whenever possible. This is
not the case with other versions

As for grammatical theory, the translation was made in the late 40s and early
50s, and the translators had to use the extant grammatical literature. In
addition, and this is clearly seen by a word-for-word comparison of the
Hebrew text and their renderings, in the comittee there were very competent
hebraists who worked independently with the Hebrew grammar. Thus, they came
to the conclusion that the WAYYIQTOL theory was obsolete, and they ignored
it in their translation. That was a truly corageous step at that time. Their
grammatical terminology was colored by the terminology of the time and is
very different from the terminology of my dissertation. Their definitions
naturally are cruder than mine, since the concepts of reference time, event
time and deictic center was unknown to them. Moreover, they stress different
sides of the Hebrew aspects compared with what I do. Nonetheless, because of
their fine knowledge of Hebrew and their carefulness, they managed to render
the verbs in a way that is corroborated by the definitions of my dissertation
except in the case of some QATALs with future reference. By way of
conclusion I would say that the NWT is a very fine translation, but its
gramatical theory and renderings did not influence my dissertation work.