b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:22:21 -0500

Dear Jack,
I intersperse my comment below.

LF: Harold is correct, it's an adjective, in this case a predicate adjective.
When the noun has an article the adjective may or may not also have the
article, and the sense changes accordingly.
ha'alma hara == the young woman is pregnant.
ha'alma hehara == the pregnant young woman.

> > a qal feminine singular active participle (FSAP), and a singular
> > masculine noun (MSN).
> > My first question relates to FSN1 and FSN2, are these nouns together a
> > singular
> construct? Both retain the qamets and the terminal H and neither shortened
> the qamets to a
> patah or added a terminal T.
> > My second question pertains to FSAP. Is this treated as a noun or a
> > verb,
> > i.e. can it be
> read as a noun "one who gives birth" or can it only be read as "she will be
> giving birth".
LF: How about The young woman is pregnant and giving birth to (i.e.,
delivering) a son.

> HH: It is treated as an adjective, parallel with HRH. But it is also
> treated verbally because it takes the object BN. Participles, of course,
> can have both nominal and verbal functions.
> > In the former case the structure changes to DP, FSN1, FSN2, FSN3, MSN.
> > This of
> course leaves the phrase without a verb.
> >
> HH: The verb is understood.
> > My last question is about the definite article attached to FSN1. Is
> > there
> > some significance
> to this noun being only the noun to have a definite article?
> >
> HH: Yes, it is the subject.
LF: I.e., "the woman I'm pointing to".

> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard