b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 12:3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Chris Gummer" <chrisgumms AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <kgraham0938 AT comcast.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 12:3
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:26:04 +1100

Thanks Kelton!

_____

From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net [mailto:kgraham0938 AT comcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 January 2007 1:27 AM
To: Chris Gummer

Normally in English we think of participles expressing the idea of a verb
"presently doing something."

Like And they did not know that Joseph was listening in Genesis 42:43.
i.e.Joseph was presently listening.

But in both Hebrew & Greek the participle can function that way and it can
be used as an adjective describing somebody. Such as in Judges 1:24, the
participle hashomerim (guards) should be translated as "and those who were
guarding (or spying) saw a man coming from the city."

Likewise with Genesis 12:3, the plural piel participle is describing who God
will bless. Namely, "those who bless you." And those who curse you (also
piel participle) I will curse.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: "Chris Gummer" <chrisgumms AT hotmail.com>

Kelton,

Thanks for the parsing help. But where does "those who" come from? Why isn't
it just "blessing you"? Is it just implied or am I missing something about
the participle form?

Thanks,

Chris Gummer.

_____