b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and others - question marks instead of something else???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kim <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and others - question marks instead of something else???
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:01:17 -0800 (PST)

I see the question marks too, no matter what
encoding I used, even the Unicode Yitshak
Sapir suggested which did work for some
of the messages with Hebrew script (so thankful
for that suggestion).
Took up Karl's suggestion and read it
in the B-Hebrew archives - no problems there.

Kim Chua
Singapore

Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net> wrote:
Karl and others,

I only see question marks where the hebrew letters are supposed to be.

> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:50:52 -0800
> From: "K Randolph"
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
> To: B-Hebrew
>
> Chris:
>
> This root is not found in Tanakh. The noun, ????? or ???? refers to a
> "way, direction one should go, (by)way"
>
> Other words include ??? a way for travelers going from city to city,
> ??? path, not for wagons, ???? highway, an embanked road suitable for
> wheeled traffic, ???? cowpath (from ??? calf)? or rutted track (from
> ??? circular)? hard walkway (hardened by many people treading on it),
> ???? city street, lined with shops.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On 11/20/06, Chris and Nel wrote:
>> Dear Members,
>>
>> While this root according to Gesenius and Davidson has the signification
>> of
>> Treading, Trampling; I read also that the Arabic refers to a path that is
>> elevated, (like maybe a royal pathway). However they say that the Nun?
>> can
>> not refer to this (by that I have absolutely no idea what he is talking
>> about). But since we have the word root: Dalet Resh Qaf meaning
>> precisely
>> the same I wonder whether or not the former root has something 'extra' or
>> 'subtler shade' in its meaning?
>>
>> Can anyone elaborate please?
>>
>> Thankyou,
>> Chris,
>> Ireland.

---------------------------------
Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate -
Click now to apply
>From yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com Wed Nov 22 04:22:00 2006
> I see the question marks too, no matter what
> encoding I used, even the Unicode Yitshak
> Sapir suggested which did work for some
> of the messages with Hebrew script (so thankful
> for that suggestion).
> Took up Karl's suggestion and read it
> in the B-Hebrew archives - no problems there.

In the message below everyone will see question marks.
Because Chris originally did not read the message using
Unicode, so when he replied, his reply substituted question
marks for characters he could not read. However, Karl's
message below was sent using unicode:

> > Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:50:52 -0800
> > From: "K Randolph"
> > Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nun-Tav-Vet root
> > To: B-Hebrew
> >
> > Chris:

as can be seen from the "Content-Type" header above. I just made
a test with my Yahoo account. Yahoo Accounts now has a "Beta"
mode where the Hebrew is correctly displayed. In the original mode,
you have to select an Encoding of "Unicode (UTF-8)" for it to work.

Yitzhak Sapir