b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and others - question marks instead of something else???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kim <s_kim_chua AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Karl and others - question marks instead of something else???
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:16:50 +0000

On 22/11/2006 09:01, Kim wrote:
I see the question marks too, no matter what
encoding I used, even the Unicode Yitshak
Sapir suggested which did work for some
of the messages with Hebrew script (so thankful
for that suggestion).
Took up Karl's suggestion and read it
in the B-Hebrew archives - no problems there.
If the message is OK in the archives, the problem is with the software you are using to view the message. As Yitzhak pointed out, there is a problem with Yahoo mail, and maybe with some other web-based mail as well. If you download your mail to your own computer, you will have a problem with Eudora, and with some other older mail clients as well. (Chris uses Outlook Express 6, so that shouldn't be his problem.) There is also an issue with operating systems: recent versions of Windows, Mac OS and Linux all support Unicode Hebrew, but older versions may have only partial support, and it may be necessary to install Hebrew language support - in Windows XP do this from Control Panel - Regional and Language Options - Languages, then check "Install files for complex script...".

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org