b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:30:16 +1100

Hi Karl,

The discussion was sparked by my pointing out that typology would raise questions concerning the grammaticalisation of a politeness distinction with the BH 1st person singular independent personal pronouns, the main functional distinction posited in the literature. Sure, OUR discussion may have been Eurocentric, but this cannot be raised concerning Helmbrecht: he uses typological sampling to minimise such bias and his language sample includes over 200 languages. So I disagree with you very strongly that the "literature displays a Eurocentric view". What literature are you referring to?

Further, Revell's study is not completely a "statistical analysis", but it is not wholly "speculation", either. What's your opinion of it?

Regards,
David Kummerow.

David:

The problem I am having with this discussion is that it is done with
only a minimal reference to Hebrew usages. Further that the literature
displays a Eurocentric view. If after analyzing the many hundreds of
usages of )NY and )NKY that the contexts indicate politeness function,
I'd like to see a statistical analysis of those contexts, but so far
all I have seen is speculation.