b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] We and us

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] We and us
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:54:01 -0500

Hi David,

I really appreciate all the work you are putting into this thread!
You have put forward a lot of good reading that I need to catch up on.

You will see that one of my posts was heading to you while one of yours
was headed my way. I don't know if you will want to add anything that
you have not said below.

See my comments below:

David Kummerow wrote:
Gday Bryan,

OK, to deal with more of the points raised in your earlier post and this one.

See my post to Peter's post replying this one of yours. There, I said:

"If `abdeka were a grammaticalised polite
pronoun, it should be analysable pretty much solely as a polite pronoun,
i.e. [`abdeka] = polite 1st person polite pronoun, rather than [[`ebed]
= "servant" + [ka] = 2ms] = polite 1st person noun phrase reference. Do
you see the difference? The question is: to what extent is `abdeka
grammaticalised, or, put another way, synchronically analysable? I think
in the minds of speakers it was still thought of in its constituent parts."

What do you think of this? Perhaps, though, `abdo may be on the way of grammaticalisation (it fits the needed contextual configuration etc), but I suggest that it will not be a completed process until such a process is completed at least in the second person. I just checked Rubin (2005) and I find it interesting that the grammaticalisation of politeness in Semitic is not discussed.

So you are saying that `ebed + pronominal suffix, to be considered a polite pronoun, needs to be a choice also for referring to a 2nd person?

Interesting. We have plenty of 'adoni's, 'abi's, and beni's but really no `abdi's standing in for 'attah. The nearest I can find is something like Isa 44:1 shma` ya`aqob `abdi, but I don't think it qualifies because the notion is "you will listen. you are Yaaqob. you are my servant," not just "you will listen." So I should concede a point to you, that `ebed + pronominal suffix is always still two morphemes, even in a "polite" situation.

Now to yishma`. I take it here that it is not the pronoun per se which expresses politeness, but the avoidance of a direct unmitigated command, ie an imperative. Commanding people to do things is a touchy issue, and this is often expressed in the grammars of languages (see esp. Heath 1991, 1998, 2004). David mitigates his command to the king by lessening the imperative force of the utterance. This is achieved in a few ways. First, he uses the politeness/formal marker na' (on na', see Dallaire 2002; Shulman 1996, 1999). Secondly, an imperative is avoided altogether, with a jussive used instead. The entire jussive form itself, rather than simply the pronoun, is probably more polite than using an imperative (see Kaufman 1991 for some discussion).

It seems to me that the BH lexicon is meager. For instance, there is
the lack of modal words. This does not mean that BH cannot express
modal concepts. It does so by marshaling its extant forms and lexicon
and applying construction rules, like word order conventions, context,
and clause-strings.

It would not surprise me to find that an extant
lexical item (e.g. `ebed) or a context (e.g. a soldier is talking to his
king) can work together with extant forms (e.g. clitic and stand-alone
pronouns) to create a class of slot-fillers called "polite forms." Not polite pronouns, but polite *forms*.

I can see that, even if we accept this description of a way to generate
polite slot-fillers, 'anoki (as a proposed polite slot-filler) still stands as a sort of odd man out. It may not be enough like the other slot-fillers for comfort' sake.

Shalom,
Bryan

Do you see what I'm trying to get at? There's politeness processes at working in the language, but the grammaticalisation of social politeness in BH is not tied to pronouns reserved for this function.

As an aside, I just checked Rubin (2005) and I find it interesting that the grammaticalisation of politeness in Semitic is not discussed at all. Sure it might be an oversight, but it may point to there not being grammaticalised politeness in BH.

Hope this continues to help clarify matters. I'm finding the discussion very helpful.

Here's the references mentioned:

Dallaire, Hélène. 2002. “The Syntax of Volitives in Northwest Semitic Prose.” PhD diss., Hebrew Union College.

Heath, Jeffrey. 1991. “Pragmatic Disguise in Pronominal-Affix Paradigms.” Pages 75-89 in Paradigms: The Economy of Inflection. Edited by Georg Bossong and Bernard Comrie. Empirical Approaches to Language Typology 9. Berlin/New York: Mouton de Gruyter.

Heath, Jeffrey. 1998. “Pragmatic Skewing in 1 <-> 2 Pronominal Combinations in Native American Languages.” International Journal of American Linguistics 64: 83-104.

Heath, Jeffrey. 2004. “Person.” Pages 998-1015 in Morphologie: Ein internationales Handbuch zur Flexion und Wortbildung. Edited by Geert Booij, Christian Lehmann, Joachim Mugdan, and Stavros Skopeteas. Handbücher zur Sprach- und Kommunikationswissenschaft 17/2. Berlin/New York: Walter de Gruyter.

Kaufman, Stephen A. 1991. “An Emphatic Plea for Please.” Maarav 7: 195-198.

Rubin, Aaron D. 2005. Studies in Semitic Grammaticalization. Harvard Semitic Studies 57. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Shulman, Ahouva. 1996. “The Use of Modal Verb Forms in Biblical Hebrew Prose.” PhD diss., University of Toronto.

Shulman, Ahouva. 1999. “The Particle נָא in Biblical Hebrew Prose.” Hebrew Studies 40: 57-82.

Regards,
David Kummerow.

Hi David,

Thank you for your helpful clarifications.

One minor clarification on my side: in my post (quoted below) I purposely avoided discussing 'adoni hammelek for the very reasons you mention. I focused on only the transformation from 2nd person notion (e.g. tishma') to 3rd person surface (yishma`) and `ebed + pronominal suffix, which has wide application.

I do accept that grammaticalization may be more rigorous than I had realized. I am still not sure why tishma` -> yishma` would not qualify.

Thanks also for the bibliographic references!

Shalom,
Bryan