b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Harold Holmyard <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 08:33:58 -0500

K Randolph wrote:

The impression I get is that your knowledge of the Greek New Testament
is akin to that of Hebrew and the Hebrew Tanakh — it is dependent on
translations and the scholarly opinions of others, but that you
yourself have not read it even once cover to cover. If you spent as
much time reading the original documents in their original languages
as you have spent reading translations and commentaries, I would give
more weight to your comments. But right now I view you more of a
lightweight in the scholarship arena, dependent more on others than
your own scholarship.

HH: Your impression of what I have read in the Hebrew is wrong.

Now your comments concerning the Greek of the Greek New Testament
demonstrate your ignorance of said document. When students of Greek
language tell me that they find John the hardest to read because of
the poor grammar and syntax, though the vocabulary is correct, I
believe them because I have read the Greek New Testament 20+ times.
Paul's writing is in competant and correct Greek, but not an example
of outstanding literary style. Other authors showed differing levels
of competency in Greek. Only Luke, whom early church historians credit
with writing a Gospel, the Acts and co-authored Hebrews, demonstrated
high Greek literary style.

HH: I am not ignorant of the NT.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard